The thirteenth century for Hacheston church was a period of structural change. We find our church having Hickling Priory as its patron, King John having granted to the Priory the churches of Hacheston and Parham, along with others, in 1204. Those possessions were confirmed and recorded in 1209 - as Hacheston, All Saints Church, and Chapel. (A visitor to Hacheston in 1795 reported that the Chapel once stood on ‘Chappell Hills', perhaps beside the present church, but even by that date no ruins were visible.)
In 1218 Henry III granted Hickling Priory the right to hold a fair at Hacheston for two or three days at the Feast of All Saints (1st November). This was always held on the ‘Fairground Meadow' opposite the church. In 1735 the fair was being held for two days on 2nd to 3rd of November, and in 1764 was being described as ‘considerable'. By 1844 the chief wares were pedlary and from this date onwards the fair seems to have been held solely on the 13th November. It was closed on 14th June 1872 by the Fairs Act, having been held for 654 years, one of the oldest consecutive fairs in the county.
During the latter part of the thirteenth century the existing chancel was lengthened, as in many parish churches, perhaps allowing for more elaborate services. Notice the signs of this on the outside walls of the chancel. The priest's door (now blocked up) would have been built at this date. Notice the scratch dial on the outside of the priest's door, this told people the time in the days before watches and clocks. (The scratch dial is not now visible due to weathering.)
Inside the chancel there are three features of interest: (a) the lancet single light window, the only remaining window of this early English period; (b) on the righthand side of the chancel are the piscina, a small hollow for washing the Communion vessels; and (c) the sedilia, seating space for the priest and attendants during the service.