The nineteenth century for Hacheston church was a period of considerable change and renovation. There is much documentary evidence of the alterations, noted on visits by Davy in 1817 and Darby in 1829, who record in some detail what they saw in Hacheston church with most interesting sketches. These may be seen on request in the archives in Ipswich and London.
In the early years of the century the mausoleum was built in the churchyard and now contains the remains of four of the Archdeckne family who died between 1804 and 1812. In 1808 the alms dish was given to the church, possibly a gift of this family.
During Davy's visit to the church in 1817 he noted that there were then numerous tombs in the chancel and aisle (removed later in the century) and that there were only two steps up to the altar. He also records that the north porch had been blocked up some years previously, c.1815, and was now the vestry.
In about 1836 the singing gallery was built to house musicians who would have played during the services. In 1841 records show that an organ was given to the church, not the present one, but probably a small finger organ kept in the gallery.
During the 1840s and 1850s we find Andrew Archdeckne's and Thomas Wympher's names appearing often on the list of churchwardens, and they seem to have had a hand in restoring the nave of the church, or perhaps supplied money for repairs. They probably had the font moved from its place in the south side and placed on a base near the west door. They may have also restored some of the pews in the nave, and Willian Thurlow seems to have presented the lectern. See the brass inscription on top on the book rest.
In 1879 restoration was begun in the chancel by Lady Huntingfield and church officers. The choir stalls were added and in 1883 the rood screen seems to have been removed to the back of the church (Davy saw it in its original place in 1817). One step was added to the chancel from the pulpit, and sadly, the whole area was covered over with the tiles which still remain today. Sadly, because it appears that many interesting memorials were covered over or destroyed in the process.
At Christmas in 1898 a silver flagon and paten were presented to the then vicar, the Revd. John Mather, M.A., as a mark of appreciation for his work in the church.